Submission Guidelines & Terms
The following Submission Guidelines and Terms are for the current Whimsillusion Project. These Guidelines are subject to change with each subsequent Project. Make sure you read these Guidelines and Terms thoroughly before submitting your short stories.
- GENRE. Writers wishing to submit to the Whimsillusion Project may choose to write in any genre. Writers may also choose their style, plot, and characters.
- WORD COUNT. Writers should try to keep their short stories to less than 15,000 words. However, stories will not be rejected for being longer than 15,000 words, so long as they are under the industry-standard word count for short stories. Anything longer than the industry standard word count for short stories should be submitted to our open submissions.
- EDITING. Short stories should be polished and ready for publication.
- MANDATORY ELEMENTS. Every story submitted for the Whimsillusion Project must include the following seven elements, which can be interpreted and incorporated in any manner the writer deems fit for the story:
- A character named Bruce
- The name Sarafina
- An egg
- A reptile
- A cabin
- A fight
- The line: “Milk the fruit with care.
- SUBMISSION. Submissions for the Whimsillusion Project will only be accepted through our official submission form. Any story submitted via email or regular mail will be automatically rejected. Submissions must be received by 11:59pm on December 31, 2023.
There is no cost to submit to the Whimsillusion Project. Only your imagination.
Writers whose stories are chosen to be published as part of the Whimsillusion Project anthology will receive a shared royalty for all copies sold based on Phoenix Moirai LLC’s current novel royalty structure. All writers included in the anthology will also receive three author copies once published.
The Whimsillusion Project anthology will be published in all formats, including hard cover, paperback, and Kindle. Should sales exceed expectations, we may also convert the anthology into an audiobook.
For stories chosen for inclusion in the Whimsillsuion Project:
Phoenix Moirai LLC will retain universal exclusive rights to all stories included in the Whimsillusion Project into perpetuity or for as long as the anthology is in active publication. Phoenix Moirai LLC shall also have the right to publish any story chosen as part of the Whimsillusion Project as a standalone story on Whimsillusion.com and/or as part of any promotion it deems appropriate.
Should Phoenix Moirai LLC, for whatever reason, terminate the publication of the Whimsillusion Project anthology, rights for the stories included in said anthology will revert back to the author. Writers may not republish their story outside of Whimsillusion for a term of one year after termination.
For stories rejected for inclusion in the Whimsillusion Project:
Not every story submitted for inclusion in the Whimsillusion Project will be selected for publication. Should a story be rejected, the author retains all rights to the story.
Phoenix Moirai LLC has no control over, and assumes no responsibility for, content submitted to the Whimsillusion Project.
Phoenix Moirai LLC, its affiliates, or assigns shall not be liable for any stolen material or copyright infringement produced from uploading documents, stories, or creative works to this site. You further acknowledge and agree that Phoenix Moirai LLC, its affiliates, or assigns shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with uploaded content or the use of the Service.
These Terms shall be governed and construed in accordance with the laws of United States without regard to its conflict of law provisions.
Our failure to enforce any right or provision of these Terms will not be considered a waiver of those rights. If any provision of these Terms is held to be invalid or unenforceable by a court, the remaining provisions of these Terms will remain in effect. These Terms constitute the entire agreement between Phoenix Moirai LLC regarding the submission of work, and supersede and replace any prior agreements we might have between us regarding the Service.
If you have any questions regarding submissions or these terms, please contact us at email@example.com